“Back by popular demand…”
It’s such a cliché, but in the case of the Finger Lakes Study Tour, it is so true.
With help from Southwest Ontario Tourism and Norfolk County, I had the great pleasure and honour to guide 40+ business and community leaders through the Finger Lakes in March 2015. It was a great success. The tour concept won the award for Cross Border Cooperation and Regionalism from the Economic Developer’s Council of Ontario.
Participants enjoyed it and learned so much – they asked me to organize another tour. So, Finger Lakes Study Tour II happened in April 2016.
So, again this year, I wrote up a summary report about what we learned, based on a survey of participants. Over the course of a few blog posts, I’ll break the report down into manageable chunks.
Or – feel free to download the entire report at norfolkbusiness.ca.
In my next post, I’ll tell you about the 10 “learning moments” we experienced: enabling neighbourhood projects, upselling second-floor apartments, story-telling for business, social enterprise, and so on.
You can also read about last year’s Finger Lakes tour starting at Finger Lakes 2015 – Post #1
But first, special thanks to the many people who made the Finger Lakes Study Tour in April 2016 a success:
- Andrew Tompkins, Finger Lakes Boating Museum
- Brandon Kane and Joe Romano, GreenStar Cooperative Market
- Chef Richard Larman
- Chris Iversen, Birkett Landing
- Chris Wright, Penn Yan
- Christine Peacock and staff, Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
- Coleen Fabrizi, Corning’s Gaffer District
- Debra Loehnert and staff, Three Birds Restaurant
- Frédéric Bouché, Ports of New York
- Harvey the Driver, Attridge Transportation Inc.
- Jeremy Coffey and staff, Hermann Wiemer Vineyards
- Joanne Wolnik and Jen Moore, Southwest Ontario Tourism Corp.
- Joe Myer, Myer Farm Distillers
- John Johnson, The Technology Farm
- Karen Taft, Amanda Vinson and staff, New York State Wine & Culinary Centre
- Katharine Korona and staff, Three Brothers Winery
- Kris Pearson and Sandy Murrin, Arts Centre Yates County
- Lauren Lowman and staff, Coltivare
- Lorin Hostetler, Shtayburne Farm
- Patrick Gaffney and John Jensen, Greater Hammondsport Chamber of Commerce
- Phyllisa DeSarno, JoAnn Cornish and Annie Sherman, City of Ithaca
- Sage Gerling, City of Geneva
- Steve Griffin, Finger Lakes Economic Development Center
- Suzan Richards, Susan Wolff, George and Carolyn Schaeffer, Milly’s Pantry
- Trevor Davis and staff, Rooster Fish Brewery
- Zach and Laura Cutlip, Winewagen Tours
- Plus … Gail Bouw, Fritz Enzlin, Tracy Haskett for their photos in the report